Monday, May 28, 2012

I'm an English teacher! I teach English! Ahoy!

Tonight I went back to the children's home to do some edumacating. There were about twenty kids this time, and I'd lost my little paper with all my game ideas, so once again I had to wing it.

I gave all the kids American names, which they were really excited about. There was just no way I was going to remember all their Thai names, so now we have Jason, Hannah, Annie, Sam, Jake, Cameron, Trevor, Helen, Maddy, Ben, Katie, Paul, Reed, Lexie, Ashley, Michael, and Caleb. Recognize any of those? Any relation to names in my own American life is purely coincidental.

I'm absolutely amazed at their dedication. They go to school for like, 24 hours a day already, and then they come home and have to listen to me attempting to teach English. But they're so focused and willing to learn, and they write down EVERYTHING that I write down, even if it's insignificant. After some failed attempts at explaining the concept of a noun, I tried teaching them the song, "Five little ducks went out to play...", but it didn't catch on very well. So then we worked on shapes and numbers, but I'm in need of some inspiration here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Til next time... enjoy this pictures of my studious little students copying down the lyrics to Five Little Ducks:

PS- Shout out to my girl Ashley Ann(e?) Anderson who turns 20 today! Happy Birthday Ashley! I lost your email address and you don't have fb, so I hope you read my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment