Wednesday, June 6, 2012

People in Trucks

The taxi trucks around here are not my favorite thing. But as riding them is unavoidable, I've decided to make the most of the experience by examining the people across from me. Here's a verbal snapshot of a few people I've seen the past few days:

-A girl who couldn't have been more than 17, who was pregnant and also had a 1-year-old baby sweating in a woven sling. She had a big scar behind her ear and she was wearing tattered clothes. Noi said she was from the hilltribes.
-A big-eyed mother and her big-eyed 3-year-old son, whom she pulled onto her lap when the truck got full. She kept sweeping his hair off his forehead. He was the cutest thing ever.
-A 9-year-old boy who, on the ride home in the rain, could not keep his eyes open. His head kept on drooping to the side, hitting the shoulders of the people next to him. I was sad that nobody was letting him lean on them. The poor little guy was just so tired.

I would take pictures, but that's kind of awkward...

In other news, yesterday on our way home from MK (a restaurant that Sunni's boss treated us to--she's so nice) I was telling Noi about how Christmas lights on a building means that prostitutes are available (or so I've heard). I counted at least TEN buildings with Christmas lights strung across them, just on the 20-minute drive home. That's so sad to me. Apparently prostitution is huge here, but it's also very underground. I told Noi the buildings with lights looked "sketchy." She likes learning slang words. Today on our way to the mall I taught her What the heck?, That's crazy, Peace out, Freaking, Get cracking, and Back up off. It's so funny to hear her use American slang with her cute Thai accent.

Before you go, check out this picture of the sunset tonight. I'm in love with this place.
Sorry there's stuff in the way. There are a lot of trees and houses to the west.


No comments:

Post a Comment