Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Afterward

I've lost track of time a little bit....life has been INSANE since Keara and I left Chiang Mai early Saturday morning.

Our plans to travel down to Koh Samet took a turn for the crazy as soon as we landed in Bangkok. Basically we were led around like livestock onto buses, motorcycles, boats. for the rest of the day, hauling around our 40-pound suitcases and stuffed-to-the-brim backpacks. We were exhausted by the time we finally made it to this little island, but once we saw that white-sand beach our troubles floated away...

Sunday we spent the entire day at the beach. We examined marine life in tide pools, swam in the warm sea, bummed on the beach...but in the afternoon we realized that we'd been a little crisped... so we walked back to our hotel to shower and change and then headed back to the beach for dinner and a show.

There are these crazy fire-dancers that perform every night here, and Keara and I had front-row seats. The things they were doing with ball/sticks of fire were unbelievable...I have videos but I don't want to upload them right now.
Toward the middle of the show we realized that we were smeared in whatever fuel they were using to keep their sticks burning, and then one of the guys threw his baton into the air, but he must have slipped because it landed RIGHT in front of me instead of in his hand. I was terrified. I was sure that I was going to burst into flames at any second. But the guy just swept the stick up, smiled and winked at me, and continued on with the show as if he hadn't just put my life in jeopardy. 

It wasn't until we got back to the hotel that we realized the extent of our sunburns. Oh my ouch. I have never been this burnt in my entire life. We were supposed to leave the island today and go back to Bangkok, but we chose to stay here and chill in the hotel room because it hurts too bad to even put our backpacks on.

Wish us luck on the adventure home!

No comments:

Post a Comment