Friday, August 3, 2012

The Last Days

That's a camel, in case you were wondering.
Noi let me drive her motorcycle. We both lived.
Last ride in the back of the truck. :(
Beautiful sunset just for me.
Katoon
It's amazing that my time here is at an end. I remember that first night, when I thought that I would never make it through three whole months here. But now I would do anything for three more.

There are so many people I've met, things I've done, and lessons I've learned. Before I came to this country I thought I knew what life was about, but Thailand taught me better. I cannot even begin to explain the love that I feel for my friends and family here, for the vast green rice paddies and bulging storm clouds, for the chaotic traffic, the hot sticky air, the food that gives me hiccups because it's so spicy.

I came to this country with a development perspective. I was going to work at an HIV/AIDS NGO helping AIDS victims with an "income generation project." I was going to give them all these great ideas and help them improve their lives.



But I've decided that working under the development perspective is a hindrance. It's relationships that really matter...it's absorbing a culture and coming to love it despite its faults. It's understanding that this is real life for some people, and they don't get to go back to America and show their pictures to everyone and talk about how great Thailand is.

These are my true friends. They aren't victims or patients or even co-workers. They're people and they're trying to make the most out of what they have, just like everyone else in the world. I care deeply about them and they've taught me much more than I could ever teach them.


Today, after I said my final goodbyes to everyone at the center, Olay took me on her motorcycle to the main road to catch a rot leung home. I stood with her on the side of the road for a long time, holding little Katoon on my hip. I belonged in that place, in that moment, and when I handed Katoon back to Olay and hugged them both goodbye,  I think I handed over a little piece of my heart as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment