Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Noi: "Yesterday, I saw wet leaf"

Me: "You saw a wet leaf?"
Noi: "Yeah."
Me: "Wet leaf?"
Noi: "Wet leaf."
Me: "What??"
Noi: "Wet leaf."
Me: "You're telling me you saw a wet leaf?"

Eventually we established that she was trying to say weight lift, but I think I like wet leaf better.


Yesterday was my last night with the kids... I ate dinner with them, during which I tried to explain the term orange juice. Pretty soon we had purple juice and green juice, and then when they caught on, banana juice, buffalo juice, and dog juice.

After dinner I took some of them over to the little shop on the side of the street and let them pick out whatever treat they wanted, on condition that they share. Once we had our bag of canom, we started back to the school, but stopped when we heard some screeching tires, gasping, and a strange animal noise.

Yeah, the neighbor's big black dog got run over right in front of me and ten children. It was traumatic to say the least.

But these kids are resilient and we still managed to have a great time.





The older girls performed a couple dances on the stage and then we all sat in a circle and the kids expressed their thanks to me and wished me a safe trip home. Afterward, I showed them pictures and videos of my own life and family in America...they were enthralled. They handed me flash drives and SM cards for me to upload my pictures on. Then we played around with my webcam as they all scrambled to tie more bracelets around my wrists.


This morning they left for school, as per usual. I wasn't sad because it feels like I'll be seeing them again next week. The reality of me leaving hasn't set in yet, but when it does, life will be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment