Thursday, July 19, 2012

I call this...untitled.

Okay guys, I have a confession to make. This blog is actually a school requirement. I know, I know. And I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong, but whatev.

How do you feel about that? Used? Shammed? Don't. Life isn't always as it seems--a discovery I've made recently. 

Thailand has a reputation for being chill, but because of the nature of the culture, a lot of feelings and emotions are often left unexpressed. For Thais, being jai yen or "cool-hearted" is very important. The cool-hearted person is not easily upset. The cool-hearted person never express anger in public. In Thailand, it's important to be jai yen to save face and maintain a good reputation.

That is why people here often seem fine on the surface, when underneath lies a different story. 

Even though I'd learned that before, I kind of forgot about it until recently. But it really is an aspect of the culture that needs to be recognized in order to be truly culturally aware, otherwise you could find yourself in a naive love-bubble. I am still head-over-heels for this place, but that little cultural snack having come to light (in multiple ways) recently has put a small spin on my perspective.

In other news...
At the center lately we've been helping punch holes out of saa-paper so that they can be made into little gift-bags. I like to sit near Olay so that I can talk with her. Her English has improved so much since I first met her. Every time I say a new word, she asks me to repeat it and then she'll repeat it to herself and oi! Next thing I know she's using it in normal conversation. She catches on so fast.

Today I was out bike-riding around the village and a gajillion strangers asked me, Bai nai ma? I would smile and respond bai teo. But at one point I had to pass a big group of men sitting at a table outside, and then again on the way home. The first time by I just ignored them, because they were kind of intimidating after all. But the second time I forced myself to say hello and they all smiled and started spouting off Thai phrases that I didn't know and maybe don't want to know. Then they started singing at me as I rode away. It was great.

I'm content here. I decided that there is nothing that I miss in America enough to make me want to go back. Not even Costco pizza (I know. I know!) or drinking water that comes from the faucet or sleeping with air conditioning or... I can't think of anything else. Really. Jing jing. 


PS. Paanie just informed me that there is "no light" in the bathroom so I have to shower with a candle. That should be an adventure. 





1 comment: