Friday, July 20, 2012

Dois and deks

On Wednesday, I spent the day with Noi. Actually I dragged her along with me. But I had to see the wat at the top of Doi Saket because I do live in the town named after that mountain, after all.

At the top of one hundred and ninety-something steps we saw this:



Just another wat right? NOT just another wat. This is the big golden building on the hill that tells me that I'm almost home. My first weeks here I would breathe a sigh of relief every time I saw it.

Unfortunately, I realized as we were climbing the stairs that I was wearing shorts. Knees are supposed to be covered when you visit any wat, so I thought they wouldn't let me in. I tried to tie Noi's jacket around my waist, but then a little monk stepped out and said, "Mai ben lai. Dai dai."

Inside, there were some crazy paintings. The friendly monk explained them to Noi in Thai and then she tried to explain them to me in English.

In case you couldn't tell, this painting is a depiction of Adam and Eve luring "stupid fish" to the Bible.
Can you feel the love for Christianity?



As we were hanging out outside admiring the golden spires, some Thai guy came up to me and asked me where I was from. We did the basic exchange, but then he bent over, looked up at me sideways and said, "You really big." Then he left. Gee, thanks.



Warning: transition-less subject change in the very near future. Sorry not sorry.

Today is Friday, which means teaching time! I sure do love my little kidlets. I thought I'd share this video with you from tonight because they are so scrumptious it'd be selfish not to.


Sometimes they yell and hit each other, so I'm trying to teach them "be nice," but there isn't a great Thai translation for that. Also, the cute little three-year-old is just a neighbor's kid who likes to be in on the action. She's adorable though, so I let her stay, even though she's loud and distracting.

After English class, the kids wanted to ride in the back of the truck to take me back to the church. On the way as we were bouncing all over the place they asked, "Where you from?" and "What you occupation?" I was kind of surprised because I definitely did not teach them those words, but I was also a little mad because why the heck are they retaining that information but not the information I give them? Come on guys. 

The problem is me I think. I speak too much Thai to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment