Sunday, July 15, 2012

Twenty in Thailand

Even before I came here, I was looking forward to titling this birthday post. I was so excited to turn twenty in Thailand. But I had no idea that my birthday here would be the most memorable one of my life, or that I would be so overwhelmed with emotion.

I was thrown three birthday parties.

One, which I told you about in my previous post, organized by my beloved Thai friends at my NGO on Friday.

One yesterday at a bar featuring a freakin' awesome live band that even sang me happy birthday. After my friends from the program surprised me with a cake, we danced the night away like a bunch of crazies.

And one with my family and family friends tonight at Pi O's house, complete with grasshopper-eating and gift-opening.

That equals three cakes, three "Happy Birthday" songs, and three wishes. But each of those wishes was the same. I can't tell you what they were of course, but I'm sure you can guess.

I have never felt so much love in my life. Tonight, as I was sitting on the ground chowing down on homemade french-fries and breaded chicken, surrounded by people that I care so much about, smiling and laughing and joking, I looked up at the rain falling against the sunlit palm trees, and my heart absolutely flooded.

How can I leave?

How can I leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment